Incoming International Students

Welcome, incoming international students! We're looking forward to your arrival at UPEI.

Welcome to UPEI New Student Package

I have received a letter of acceptance from UPEI. What should I do now?

We are excited to continue these discussions and look forward to having you join us at UPEI. While we cannot provide immigration advice we can direct you to the proper IRCC websites to assist you with your study permit application.

Apply for on-campus housing

You need to apply for on-campus housing (residence) separately. We have some exciting residence options, but spaces are very limited, so apply early. If you apply after March 31, you may not get a space.

Visit the Residence website to complete a residence application. Wondering which residence to choose? Read more about your options.

Apply for a Study Permit

If you wish to study in Canada you will need a Canadian Study Permit. The Canadian government's department of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) issues study permits. Visit their website to find out more information about study permits. 

How long will it take?

The process and wait time will depend on what country you are in. Visit the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website to find a visa office, or embassy outside Canada, or contact a visa application centre.

What will it cost to study in Canada?

For information on financial requirements, please visit the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website.

Will I be able to work part time?

International students are able to work on/off campus while they study at UPEI. For more information, please visit the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website.

Do I need other documentation?

Depending on your country of origin you will also need either a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an electronic travel authorization (eTA). To find out which travel document you require visit the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website for more information.

What is next?

Once you have been approved you will receive a Letter of Introduction to present to the border officer when you reach Canada.

Helpful hint: if you are taking a program of study that is less than six-months in length a study permit will not be required; however, it may be recommended. Many exchange students decide that they would like to stay longer than the six months. Some visiting students even decide to move to PEI to continue their education. If you already have a study permit it is much easier to make this transition.

Are you a minor?

Will you be under the age of eighteen when you enter Canada? If so, special rules apply to you. You will need a completed Custodianship Declaration Form. Please see the section about minors studying in Canada.

We can meet you at the airport

We will arrange student volunteers to greet you at the airport, but you will need to pay for your own taxi ride from the airport to where you will stay in PEI.

Request airport meet and greet

While you wait:

Contact UPEI