Student Laboratory Assistants - Department of Physics - Faculty of Science
September 2017 to December 2017
January 2018 to April 2018
May 2018 to August 2018
The Physics Department seeks applications for student lab assistants in for the 2017-2018 academic year.
Fall 2017 courses with labs include: Physics 1110, Physics 1210, Physics 1510 (Astronomy: Life in the Universe), Physics 2010 (Waves and Oscillations).
Spring 2018 courses with labs include: Physics 1120, Physics 1220, Physics 2120 (Electricity, Magnetism and Circuits), Physics 2920 (Astronomy: Stars, Galaxies and the Universe).
Summer 2018 courses could include: Physics 1110, 1120, 1210 and 1220.
Lab assistants will be:
• Acting as a general resource person for students during the lab
• Monitoring student operations in conducting experiments
• Ensuring all computer and lab equipment is used safely
• Following Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) as applicable
• Operate the telescope and lead small groups in astronomy viewings (Astronomy course only)
• Applicants will have successfully completed the course for which they are selected to assist in the lab or course, or have relevant alternative experience
• Preference will be given to students taking Physics as their major or minor
• Previous experience is an asset
Students hired will be required to successfully complete an on-line WHMIS course and attend a departmental Site Safety Training session.
Please note that assistants for all 2017-2018 academic terms are chosen from this competition. Applicants wanting to be considered for the second term only should apply now and indicate this on their application.
Priority to University of Prince Edward Island students will be given in accordance with Recruitment, Selection, Hiring and Employment, Policies and Procedures Manual.
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a brief resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date, via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website (www.upei.ca/hr/). Second, fill out this UPEI Google form for time availability Student Positions Google form.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens, permanent residents and full-time international students with a valid study permit will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.