Student Product Design Engineer - Faculty of Sustainable Design Engineering
May – August 31, 2018
The Faculty of Sustainable Design Engineering (FSDE) at UPEI is a unique engineering education program organized in the context of an innovation focused research and development consulting firm. Faculty and staff act as senior engineers, consultants and mentors to project groups comprised of students working on real world problems for community-based and industrial clients. Within the Faculty is the Centre for Advanced Manufacturing, a dedicated fee for service unit that provides prototype design and fabrication services as well as research projects in collaboration with faculty of FSDE.
The Faculty is currently seeking a well-rounded and energetic self-starter for the position of Student Product Design Engineer (SPDE). Working in the Centre for Advanced Manufacturing under the guidance of centre Staff, the successful applicant will have the following responsibilities:
- Work on design and fabrication projects under the guidance of the Centre staff and FSDE faculty
- Prepare reports, analyses, CAD models and other technical documentation
- Collaborate with other Centre staff to complete projects in an efficient manner that will involve research and planning to effectively use resources of the Centre
- Assist the Centre technical staff in all aspects of operations including reception, technical assistance, project definition, quotation, design services, equipment training and support, equipment maintenance and inventory control
The ideal candidate for this position will have the following qualifications:
- As a minimum the successful candidate must have completed the first two years of the Sustainable Design Engineering degree or deemed equivalent
- Should have a grade of 75% or greater in ENGN 2220 or deemed equivalent
- Demonstrated capability in Solidworks and/or Autodesk Inventor and a willingness to learn other CAD/CAM programs, CSWA certified applicants will be given priority
- Ability to manage time effectively to complete tasks to meet external deadlines
- Knowledge of circuits and programming would be considered an asset
Priority will be given to University of Prince Edward Island students in accordance with Recruitment, Selection, Hiring and Employment Policies and the Procedures manual.
Please submit electronically a cover letter quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date, via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website (www.upei.ca/hr/). Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, or fax it to (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified student candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens, permanent residents and full-time international students with a valid study permit will be given priority.
The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment. Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.