Student Summer Residence Life Advisors (2 Positions) - Residence Services - Ancillary Services
April to August, 2019 (Spring and Summer semester)
Ancillary Services is looking for 2 Residence Life Advisors for the 2019 Spring and Summer Semester (April to August). Residence living provides significant learning opportunities for students outside of the classroom. Residence Life Advisors (RLAs) play an important role in this process.
RLAs must act as peer-supporters, advisors, activity planners, administrators, and educators to maintain residence community standards. RLAs must work together with their fellow RLAs, Residence Life Coordinator, Residence Housing Coordinator, Director of Ancillary Services, departmental staff, and other university staff in creating an educational environment conducive to both living and learning. Individuals selected as RLAs are those who demonstrate leadership, maturity, dependability, and involvement in their residence community, as well as sensitivity and concern for other residents. They must be committed to their own personal growth, taking care to budget personal time for study, work, relaxation, and continuous learning. RLAs must have a commitment, which extends beyond specific job responsibilities. Once chosen, the RLAs are provided with additional training and support services, which enhance their effectiveness in their job responsibilities.
• Assisting and peer-advising students on academic, personal, social, and financial matters
• Completing room assessments, assisting with public relations, ensuring maintenance is complete, keeping residents informed, acting as supervisors for safety exercises, serving as liaisons, and assisting with other administrative duties as required
• Attending and participating in developmental sessions and staff meetings
• Working in-service shifts a certain number of weeknights and weekends each semester (Note - this may include working some holidays or long weekends)
• Planning, implementing, and evaluating developmental programs (both academic and non-academic)
• Educating residents about residence community standards to ensure the safety and security of all residents
• Satisfactory academic standing (minimum 65% average). (Each applicant must submit a copy of his/her unofficial degree audit with the application package. [This information is kept in confidence by the Selection Committee])
• Residence living experience (at least one year and preferably at UPEI)
• Good rapport with fellow residence students, and the ability to serve as a positive role model
• Sound knowledge of the university, campus services, residence life program, and different student activities
• Available to participate in training sessions throughout the semester
• See information document at this link, RLA 2019 Summer Application, for additional information on this position as well as documents required with your application submission
1. You are applying for the position of RLA. Two (2) positions will be in Bernardine Hall. The hiring committee extends offers based on suitability and staffing requirements.
Priority will be given to University of Prince Edward Island students in accordance with Recruitment, Selection, Hiring and Employment Policies and the Procedures manual.
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.