Student Assistant/Mentor - Work Integrated Learning
April 30 – August 31, 2018 (Term may be reduced or extended depending on performance, available funding and departmental requirements)
The Department of Work Integrated Learning is seeking applications for the position of Student Assistant/Tutor. This position will be full-time for the summer months. The successful candidate will receive training and will be mentored by Career and Work Integrated Learning professionals to ensure an exceptional experiential learning opportunity.
• Greet students in a friendly manner, answering inquiries and directing students to the appropriate resources
• Research & organize career-related resources
• Collaborate with Work Integrated Learning, Career & Co-op staff on student career preparation
• Create a student assistant training manual
• Help to maintain social media
• Monitor and respond to a role-based Gmail account
• Collaborate on a communications plan for experiential education
• Other duties as required
The successful candidate will have:
• Confidence and be a forward thinker and self-starter
• The ability to take ownership and be accountable to completing assigned work
• Experience organizing events and be organized by nature, with excellent time management skills
• Strong computer skills; experience with Microsoft Office and G Applications would be as asset
• A strong attention for detail and be driven by quality and creativity
• Working knowledge and experience of social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn
• Excellent communication (both verbal and written) and interpersonal skills
• Ability to work in both a team environment and be willing to work occasional evenings and/or weekends during the fall and winter semesters
• A customer-service orientation, a willingness to work one-to-one as a mentor and comfort interacting with people from many countries
• A student who will be returning for the full 2018/19 academic year
Priority will be given to University of Prince Edward Island students in accordance with Recruitment, Selection, Hiring and Employment Policies and the Procedures manual.
Please submit electronically a cover letter quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date, via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website (www.upei.ca/hr/). Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, or fax it to (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified student candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens, permanent residents and full-time international students with a valid study permit will be given priority.
The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment. Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.