Student Research Assistant - Department of Biomedical Sciences - Atlantic Veterinary College
May 13, 2019 to August 30, 2019
Applications are invited for a student research assistant position in support of grant-funded neuroscience research over the summer of 2019 in the Department of Biomedical Sciences at the Atlantic Veterinary College. The successful candidate will provide support for graduate students and technical staff conducting various in vitro experiments that investigate changes in the mammalian nervous system relevant to understanding several neurological diseases and disorders. Students hoping to pursue graduate studies in neuroscience are particularly encouraged to apply.
• The preparation of buffers, reagents and drug solutions, maintenance of sterile cell cultures
• Processing of tissues for protein analysis
• Image quantification and data entry with accompanying statistical analysis
• Good academic standing in senior undergraduate courses in Chemistry and/or Biochemistry
• Demonstrable experience in “wet lab” experimentation
• A commitment to accuracy and attention to detail in laboratory work
• Additional coursework in cellular Biology and/or Neuroscience is highly desirable
• Priority given to students enrolled in a BSc or DVM program at UPEI
Applications must include a statement of interest, unofficial university transcript(s), a current CV/Resume and contact information for at least two references.
Priority will be given to University of Prince Edward Island students in accordance with Recruitment, Selection, Hiring and Employment Policies and the Procedures manual.
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website (www.upei.ca/hr). Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.