Student Research Assistant - Department of Biomedical Sciences - Atlantic Veterinary College
12 weeks within the period: April 20-August 17, 2018 (Start date is flexible with limits)
The Department of Biomedical Sciences is looking for a summer student to carry out research on drug-induced mitochondrial dysfunction. Training in all techniques relevant to the project will be provided.
The project is entirely lab-based and will involve:
- Isolating functional mitochondria from fish tissues
- Measuring mitochondrial respiration and ATP production in the presence and absence of select drugs
- Data collection and entry into spreadsheet (Excel), statistical analysis, and graphing
- The successful candidate must have completed 3rd and 4th year-level university courses in biology and/or biochemistry
- Research interest or experience in biological sciences, especially in mitochondrial respiration, would be considered an asset
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a team upon training
Priority will be given to University of Prince Edward Island students in accordance with Recruitment, Selection, Hiring and Employment Policies and Procedures manual.
Please submit electronically a cover letter quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date, via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website (www.upei.ca/hr/). Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, or fax it to (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified student candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens, permanent residents and full-time international students with a valid study permit will be given priority.
The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment. Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.