Student Makers & Teaching Assistants (CAD, Design, Lab & Shop) - Faculty of Sustainable Design Engineering - Up to 16 Positions
January 2019 – April 2019
The Faculty of Sustainable Design Engineering is seeking applications for Student Markers and Teaching Assistants (CAD, Design, Lab & Shop) for the Winter 2019 semester to assist instructors with course grading and to provide support to the design clinics, course labs and the various fabrication and assembly shops.
• Student Markers and/or Lab Teaching Assistants
ENGN 1310; 2250; 2340; 2430; 2620; 3270; 3630; 3820
• Design Teaching Assistants
ENGN 1220; 2220; 3720; 4720
• CAD Teaching Assistants
• Shop Teaching Assistants
• Assist the instructor with grading of assignments, tests and other materials as assigned
• Maintain records of grades for students
CAD Teaching Assistants:
• Provide assistance and instruction to students in using CAD software
Design Teaching Assistants:
• Assist the instructor in supporting students in the various activities associated with the Design clinics
• Assist the instructor with grading of assignments and other materials as assigned
• Provide assistance and guidance to students regarding the design process
Lab Teaching Assistants:
• Assist the instructor with the supervision of students in undergraduate laboratories
• Provide pre-lab instruction and guidance to students for completion of undergraduate labs
• Work with the instructor and lab technician to ensure that all students are aware of safe laboratory procedures and comply with the same
• Assist instructor with student evaluation as required
Shop Teaching Assistants:
• Assist the Fabrication and Assembly Technician in supporting student Design Clinic projects
• Provide assistance and guidance to students regarding fabrication and assembly
• Operate wood shop and machine shop equipment for which they are properly trained
• Complete all safety and equipment training as provided and required by the Faculty
• Follow and enforce all H&S guidelines and SOPs
• Work with the Fabrication and Assembly technician to ensure that all students are aware of safe shop procedures and comply with the same
• Report all incidents related to safety
• Maintain shop cleanliness
• Track and maintain tool
Student Markers and Teaching Assistants (CAD, Design and Lab):
• Undergraduate or graduate students in the Faculty's Sustainable Design Engineering degree programs. Priority in hiring will be given to graduate students.
• Applicants will have successfully completed the course for which the position applies, or have relevant alternative experience
• Excellent academic performance will be an asset
• Previous experience as a Student Marker or as a Teaching Assistant will be an asset
Teaching Assistants (Shop):
• Undergraduate or graduate students in the Faculty’s Sustainable Design Engineering degree programs.
• Experience with tools and machining is essential
• Experience in a shop environment is essential
• Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment
• Comfortable intervening in the event of a H&S related issue
• First aid training will be considered an asset
Ensure that you provide a summary of all relevant previous experience as a Student marker or Teaching Assistant.
Indicate your preference(s) regarding the type of position to which you are applying,
i.e., Student Marker, CAD Teaching Assistant, Design Teaching Assistant, Lab Teaching Assistant or Shop Teaching Assistant.
Indicate your top three courses of interest, in order of preference, for the Student Marker, the Design Teaching Assistant and the Lab Teaching Assistant positions.
Priority is given to University of Prince Edward Island students in accordance with Recruitment, Selection, Hiring and Employment Policies and Procedures manual.
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website (www.upei.ca/hr).
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens, permanent residents and full-time international students with a valid study permit will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.