Student Assistant (Up to 3 Positions) - English Language Centre - Student Experience Hub
May 13, 2019 to August 30, 2019 with possibility of extension in the fall semester (approximately 15 hrs/wk in fall and winter, dependent on performance and funding)
The English Language Centre is seeking applications for the position of student assistant (up to 3). The English Language Centre hosts international groups (high schools and universities) for short-term customized language programs. The position(s) will be full-time from May 13 to August 30 with the possibility of an extension in the fall semester.
• Greeting students and/or guests in a friendly manner, answering inquiries and directing people to the appropriate staff person
• Planning and participating in English Language Program socio-cultural activities
• Collaborating with Homestay and Activities Coordinator and with instructors to align activities with academic content
• Engaging with students during program activities
• Organizing transportation, booking tickets
• Helping to maintain social media
• Assisting with research on current and future projects
• Leading campus tours
• Performing other duties as required
The successful candidate will have:
• Experience organizing events
• Strong computer skills with a keen eye for detail
• Excellent communication (both verbal and written) and interpersonal skills
• Ability to work in both a team environment and independently and be willing to work occasional evenings and/or weekends
• A customer-service orientation and be comfortable interacting with people from many countries
• Cross-cultural experience and familiarity with working in a post-secondary educational environment is a definite asset
• Ideally, the candidate is a second-year student
Priority will be given to University of Prince Edward Island students in accordance with Recruitment, Selection, Hiring and Employment Policies and the Procedures manual.
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website (www.upei.ca/hr). Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.