Accessing Services for 2020–2021
The start of a new academic year always brings a certain amount of change and uncertainty. But a global pandemic this year sure has increased that level of change and uncertainty. One thing has stayed the same, the Department of Student Affairs is here to help you! But how we do that has had to adapt.
Typically, one way we support students at the start of each term is by switching from our usual appointment based service to a walk-in, first come, first serve system focused largely on academic advising. With measures in place to limit the potential for spread of COVID-19, a regular walk-in service isn't really feasible. Instead, we will be offering online academic advising on a first come, first serve basis using the Blackboard Collaborate platform many of your professors are using.
If you'd like to speak to an advisor, simply visit our virtual waiting room here during office hours.
You'll be asked for your name and then you'll join our waiting room where a short video will explain how to check-in and provide a quick tutorial on how to use the interface.
Some tips to optimize your connection and experience:
- Blackboard collaborate is configured to work with Google Chrome and Firefox browsers - use those instead of Microsoft Edge (or Explorer!) or Safari as those will really mess with your graphics
- online video uses a lot of bandwidth - shut down extra apps and tabs to minimize the work your computer and router have to do
- if you can, connecting to the internet with a cable rather than wifi will give you a better connection. If you have to use wifi, make sure you have a strong and stable signal
- a camera is nice, but not essential. It will be really clumsy to communicate without a microphone though.
- Blackboard Collaborate can be finicky about letting you back in if you don’t sign out properly. So, in case you need to come back for more advising, it’s a good idea to sign out rather than just close the tab/browser
This service will run Tuesday, September 8 to Friday, September 11 and Monday, September 14 to Friday, September 18 - from 9:00 am to 12 noon, and 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm. The last advising appointment starts about 20 minutes before the end of the day (at the latest) so make sure you check in by 11:30 am or 3:30 pm, at the latest.
Students seeking personal counselling should call our admin at 902-566-0488 or email email@example.com. Although we are focused on academic advising at this time, we are still running our triage service to support students who feel their scheduled appointment is too far away - don't be afraid to ask for it. Finally, students who want academic advising after this on-demand period will still be able to contact our admin (at the above contacts listed) for an appointment.