The UPEI School of Mathematical and Computational Sciences was created based on the growing need for university graduates to be educated in developing sophisticated mathematical and statistical techniques aligned with market needs, managing and extracting knowledge from unprecedented volumes of data, and integrating methods with powerful analytical software and technology tools.
The advisory council will:
advise the University President and leadership team on the current expectations of market sectors and mathematics, statistics, and computer science professions,
assist in anticipating, responding, and adapting to changing needs of related industry sectors and talent markets in a manner that enables the development and delivery of highly relevant educational programs and professionals, and
provide effective linkages with industry, government bodies, and leaders able to assist the University in meeting its goals in the context of strategic priorities and broader issues involving academic programs, teaching, research, and professional service.
The founding council members include:
- Dr. Alaa Abd-El-Aziz, President and Vice-Chancellor, UPEI
- Dr. Gordon MacDonald, Professor, UPEI School of Mathematical and Computational Sciences
- Deirdre Beep Ayre, Head of Canadian Operations and Director, Other Ocean Group Canada Ltd.
- Michael Bowick, Managing Director and Head of Global Markets, RBC Capital Markets (UPEI alumnus)
- Dr. Ashok Chitkara, Chancellor, Chitkara University
- Peter Hayes, Consulting Actuary and Principal, Eckler Ltd.
- Alex MacBeath, Vice-Chair, Health PEI; Founding Partner, Island Entrepreneurship Fund (UPEI alumnus)
- Jevon MacDonald, Ex-Co-Founder & CEO, GoInstant; Co-Founder, StartupIndex.ca (UPEI alumnus)
- Shannon MacDonald, Vice-Chair and Chief Inclusion Officer, Deloitte Canada (UPEI alumna)
- Eric Mansour, Managing Director, Pension Investments, Scotiabank Group Treasury
- Marie-Josée Martin, Vice-President, Actuarial, Medavie Blue Cross
- Jennifer Mersereau, Founding Partner, Hamilton Capital Partners Inc. (UPEI alumna)
- Chak Raghunathan, Entrepreneur
- Dr. Lawrence Schembri, Deputy Governor, Bank of Canada
- Jason Simac, Manager, Market Risk Oversight, BMO Financial Group (UPEI alumnus)
- Pat Sinnott, Chair, UPEI Board of Governors (UPEI alumnus)
- Dr. Lowell Sweet, Professor of Mathematics (retired), UPEI Board of Governors