Social Media and Applied Digital Communications Certificate
For organizations as well as individuals, there is little choice but to actively engage in social media; you may choose to establish your online identity, or it may be established for you. But digital communications media, tactics and best practices change at a pace that is hard to fathom. Significantly, in the past decade, stakeholder engagement across social media has become essential. Understanding and making these digital communications work to the fullest (and to your advantage) takes skill, knowledge and training.
UPEI's Social Media and Applied Digital Communications certificate program will develop your social media and digital communications skills through hands on work involving key digital platforms such as Google, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. From this course, you will be better equipped for the pace of change online and better able to rally your audience's attention to your mission.
Participants will gain practical skills to be able to:
- create content on various platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.)
- describe social media and summarize several popular social media sites and services
- distinguish between one's personal and professional activities on the Internet
- identify the ethical challenges that may arise from engaging in activities on the Internet
- understand the difference between disclosure responsibilities that individuals have on personal social media profiles versus the responsibilities they have when they communicate through an employer's official social media profile
- develop strategies for minimizing risk of ethical violations on the Internet
- develop policies and practices around the use of email, record-keeping and the protection of confidentiality
- ensure the proper use of disclosures when you use social media for work
- manage the concerns that may arise for any organization who has a presence on social media sites
- construct a social media policy for one's office to address potential boundary issues with clients
- discuss the relevant ethical issues as they pertain social networking
Who should attend
UPEI's Social Media and Applied Digital Communications program will be of interest to a wide range of communications, marketing, public relations, sales and operations professionals, and managers in small, medium and large businesses and organizations in all industry sectors.
How will you learn
The three, day-long sessions will use a variety of lectures and presentations; writing labs and interrelated group work; mixed media, case study and integrated experiential learning; and produce graduates who are more learned, ethical and practical producers and consumers of social media and digital communications.
Length of course: This course will be offered online from 2:00–4:00 pm on the following dates, May 25, May 27, May 29, June 1, June 3, and June 5.