Research Scientist - Multiplex Molecular Assay for Swine Enteric Viruses - Diagnostic Services - Regional Diagnostic Services (RDVS) - Atlantic Veterinary College (Grant Funded)
Commensurate with qualification and experience
As soon as possible to March 31, 2023 (Term may be reduced or extended depending on performance, available funding and departmental requirements)
The AVC Diagnostic Services (AVC DS) is seeking applications from qualified candidates to fill a Research Scientist position at the Regional Diagnostic Virology Services. The individual will work as part of a team in RDVS and AVC DS in the fine-tuning, validation and diagnostic-surveillance application of a state of the art multiplex assay for economically important swine enteric viruses.
The successful candidate will be expected to perform the following duties:
- Participate in further fine tuning and in the laboratory and diagnostic validation of the new swine enteric viruses multiplex assay
- Participate in the implementation of the diagnostic and the surveillance application of the new swine enteric viruses multiplex assay
- Work closely with the Diagnostic Virologist of RDVS, the Director of AVC Diagnostic Services, the microbiology research diagnostic technologist and the technical staff of the RDVS in the overall implementation of the project
- Participate in providing direction of the research project focusing on its overall goals and general and specific objectives, along with the Diagnostic Virologist, Director of AVC Diagnostic Services, AVC Swine Specialist and scientific staff of Canadian Pork Council
- Collaborate with swine practitioners and industry farmers in the collection of samples
- Develop sampling plans
- Perform statistical analysis of all scientific data
- Participate in seeking out and preparing applications for funding opportunities to further the project, if needed
- Prepare, review, and edit research reports
- Prepare presentations and manuscripts for publication
- The individual must have a DVM degree and a PhD degree in related discipline such as veterinary epidemiology or microbiology
- Clinical and collaborative animal health research experience
- Experience in diagnostic test validation and interpretation
- Functional knowledge and experience in molecular diagnostic techniques such as PCR, real time PCR, DNA sequencing and traditional techniques such as ELISA and fluorescent antibody test and knowledge of aseptic techniques and biosafety in the laboratory
- Self-motivated and able to work independently and as an effective member of the research-diagnostic team of AVC Diagnostic Services
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to multitask, and ability to collaborate with AVC colleagues, laboratorians from veterinary laboratories across Canada, swine practitioners in Canada, and industry partners
- Excellent communication and writing skills and ability to present in meetings and scientific forums. A demonstrated track record of publication in peer-reviewed journals is an asset
- Experience in conducting and overseeing multiple research projects simultaneously is desirable
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.