MTS Level 7 - Licensed Practical Nurse - UPEI Health & Wellness Centre *Amended Closing Date*
September 2, 2019 to May 6, 2022 – September to May Annually (Term may be reduced or extended depending on performance, available funding and departmental requirements)
The UPEI Health and Wellness Centre is seeking a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) to perform/document assessments on patients visiting the health centre. The successful applicant will report directly to the Director of Health and Wellness and work closely with the Health Centre team, staff and faculties on campus. This is a multifaceted and challenging role which includes a variety of tasks.
• Serve as a member of the Health and Wellness Centre team, working in collaboration with other department staff, the campus community and outside organizations to support student, staff and faculty health care services
• Assessment Nursing Services:
- Performs comprehensive nursing assessments, including Best Possible Medication History (BPMH). Assessments include health history and physical (inspection, auscultation, and palpation), mental, emotional, spiritual, psychological and social well-being assessments.
- Triaging patients who present without appointment to determine if they must be seen that day
- Contributes to the development and implementation of the Cumulative Patient Profile
- Documents patient information on the patient record using best practice guidelines and within professional scope of practice
• Client Care
- Performs nursing interventions based on best practice/clinical guidelines; e.g. utilizes the CHEP Guidelines, Diabetes Canada Guidelines, and Cancer Screening Guidelines etc.
- Assists with procedures (e.g. pap testing)
- Utilizes therapeutic communication between the patient/family and participating members of the health care team
- Assists patients/families to comply with universal precautions, including hand hygiene
- Uses effective time management and performs nursing interventions according to the plan of care in collaboration with patients/families
- Responds to call-back questions from clients/families throughout the day
- Calls patients/families with follow up directions received from the RN/NP/Physician
- Provides information and assists in the education of the patient and family in the promotion and maintenance of health and independence
- Promotes self-care management
- Provides protective environment to ensure patient’s physician safety and emotional well-being
• Treatments and Procedures
- Applies evidence-based nursing principles and techniques in performing treatments and procedures within his/her own level of competency and professional scope of practice:
- Monitors and documents appropriate vital signs
- Administers medication according to health centre protocols/procedures
- Completes point of care testing (e.g. blood glucose)
- Completes client assessments using approved chronic disease management protocols (e.g updates diabetes flow sheet)
- Applies, changes, and maintains simple dressings and assists with complex dressing changes
- Collects specimens for laboratory examination, labels, and completes requisitions (e.g. swabs, venipuncture, urinalysis)
- Performs duties related to the care and distribution of clean supplies, and the collection and disposal of soiled supplies
- Assists with client preparation for procedures, assists during the performance of treatments, interviews and assessments
- Assesses, anticipates and documents changes in a client’s condition and reports appropriately
- Coordinates smooth flow of patients into/out of exam rooms. Develops a schedule of use of the rooms, escorts patients to/from exam rooms as needed, documents the reason for visit for the nurse practitioner/physician, performs an initial assessment pertinent to the presentation reason for visit and documents
- Ensures all exam rooms are properly supplied, orders necessary medical supplies, cleans rooms and equipment after use, sets up room and equipment after use, maintains a small inventory of required medical/surgical supplies, notifies registered nurse of any changes or additions required in medical supplies
• Other duties as required to support efficient operation of the Health Centre
• Successful completion of a Licensed Practical Nurse Program and eligible for licensure on PEI
• Must be able to use a computer, email, fax, text
• Possess strong interpersonal communication and organizational skills
• Possess intercultural competence and function as an effective member of the team
• Demonstrated ability to problem solve in a fast-paced environment
• Demonstrate superior customer service orientation and attention to detail
• Ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion
• Familiarity with University regulations and policies will be considered an asset
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.