Student Assistants (Up to 2 Positions) - Student Affairs and Mawiomi Indigenous Student Centre
$13.00 per hour plus 4% vacation pay
ASAP – April 30, 2022
The Mawi’omi Indigenous Student Centre is seeking applicants to fulfill TWO positions as Student Assistants. The Mawi’omi Indigenous Student Centre offers services and supports to First Nations, Metis, and Inuit students attending UPEI as well as cultural information and resources to the whole University community.
The successful candidates will work with the Elder(s) in Residence, the Campus Life Coordinator and other Student Affairs staff to provide supports and services to UPEI Indigenous Students.
- Provide a welcoming environment for Indigenous students visiting the Mawi’omi Centre
- Plan and deliver social and cultural events throughout the year
- Provide assistance to the Elder(s) in Residence as needed
- Monitor the Mawi’omi Centre email
- Provide peer mentorship and refer students to other campus and community support services as needed
- Presentations/outreach into the secondary school system and local communities
- Report writing
- Self-motivated UPEI student, with the ability to work with minimal supervision
- Excellent organization, time management and communication skills
- Previous experience working with students and youth considered an asset
- Event planning experience is an asset
- Lived experience or education in Indigenous culture is essential
Priority will be given to University of Prince Edward Island students in accordance with Recruitment, Selection, Hiring and Employment Policies and the Procedures manual.
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified student candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens, permanent residents and full-time international students with a valid study permit will be given priority.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.