MTS Level 8 - Microbiology Research - Diagnostic Technologist - Regional Diagnostic Virology Services (RDVS) - Diagnostic Services - Atlantic Veterinary College (Grant Funded)
$62,268 to $68,493 per annum as per CUPE 1870 (Grant Funded)
As soon as possible until March 31, 2023 (Term may be reduced or extended depending on performance, available funding and departmental requirements)
The AVC Diagnostic Services (AVC DS) is seeking application from qualified candidates to fill a Microbiology Research-Diagnostic Technologist Position in the Regional Diagnostic Virology Services (RDVS). We are looking for an individual with a strong background in molecular biology and work experience on assay/product/technology development. The individual will work with a team in RDVS and AVC DS in the fine-tuning, validation and surveillance application of the new multiplex assay for swine enteric viral pathogens.
- Provide molecular biology technical support in research and development which involves fine-tuning, enhancement, laboratory validation, diagnostic validation, development of a proficiency testing program and development of a surveillance application of the new multiplex molecular assay that targets six enteric viral pathogens of swine
- Perform multiplex molecular assays using fluidic bead-based technology and performs related molecular diagnostic techniques such as PCR, RT-PCR, qRT-PCR, alignment, sequencing and other molecular technologies
- Work with Diagnostic Virologist, Director of AVC Diagnostic Services, AVC Swine Specialist, Research Scientist and RDVS personnel in achieving the overall goal of the project which is to advance the national surveillance system for swine enteric viruses utilizing the new multiplex assay
- Perform day to day tasks related to infectious agents and molecular diagnostic work such as aliquoting primers and other diagnostic reagents, recording inventory of critical materials and other laboratory reagents and supplies
- Prepare, organize, record, aliquot and store diagnostic samples which will be utilized in the research and development project
- Document procedures, results of experiments, and other tasks related to the fine tuning, development, standardization and application of the new multiplex assay, including other molecular and traditional assays utilized in the project
- Prepare Standard Operating Procedures; Biosafety Applications; and other quality assurance and laboratory documentation
- Prepare documents related to potential intellectual property protection of the new multiplex assay
- Prepare reports and presentations to stakeholders and collaborators
- The successful candidate must hold a Master of Science, Bachelor of Science or Medical Laboratory Technologist certification
- Experience in any of the following related disciplines: microbiology, immunology, virology or molecular biology
- Minimum Two (2) Years’ Experience with research and development involving molecular biology technologies on microbial agents (bacteria, virus , etc)
- Computer skills and experience with software related to molecular technologies (primer design, alignment, sequencing, etc.) and basic software related to research and development
- Work experience in assay/product /technology development
- Experience in preparation of documents related to protection of intellectual property
- In-depth knowledge and hands-on experience in molecular diagnostic techniques and some immunodiagnostic techniques
- Experience with aseptic techniques and knowledge on biosafety and quality assurance
- Excellent organizational, multitasking, and time management skills
- Excellent communication and writing skills and ability to present results in meetings and forums
- Strong people skills with the ability to work as part of a team and to work independently
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.