MTS Level 6 - Animal Health Technician (RVT) - Anesthesia / Small Animal Hospital Float - Veterinary Teaching Hospital - Atlantic Veterinary College
$54,497 to $59,958 per annum as per CUPE 1870
December 2, 2019 to December 1, 2020 (Term may be reduced or extended depending on performance, available funding and departmental requirements)
Do you want to join a dynamic team practicing and teaching the highest standards of Veterinary Medicine? Do you want to advance your technical skills and work in an environment with leading veterinary specialist experts? Do you want to be part of shaping the next generation of veterinarians? If so, we’d love to have you join us! The Veterinary Teaching Hospital requires an Animal Health Technician to work as an anesthesia technician in both the small animal and large animal hospitals and to serve as a float technician in the Small Animal Hospital in the VTH. This individual will be based in the anesthesia service with primary responsibilities in both small animal and large animal anesthesia. They will provide secondary support to ICU, Community Practice, and other specialty services within the VTH SA hospital.
Under supervision, job responsibilities will include:
- Provide clinical and technical support to faculty in anesthesia and throughout the VTH
- Prepare patient for induction of anesthesia
- Induce and maintain anaesthesia
- Recover patient
- Accompany patients to MRI and participate in the MRI schedule
- Equipment cleaning and maintenance
- Maintaining biosecurity standards
- Ordering and stocking of supplies
- Updating patient billing
- Assist in the maintenance of medical records
- Will involve work in other areas of the hospital including ICU, Small Animal Medicine and Surgery, and Community Practice
- Working with technicians and clinicians in the small animal hospital to anticipate, organize, and prioritize cases that need to be assisted with throughout the day
- Completing and assisting with treatment orders for patients
- Ability to perform necessary nursing skills for the various levels of care required (including animal handling and restraint, and basic husbandry)
- Monitoring and reporting to the clinician any abnormalities with the patient in relation to the treatment and/or monitoring of their care and well-being
- Support veterinary students, technician students, and junior veterinarians participating in post-graduate programs with confidence and compassion
- May involve flexible work hours (changing shift times and potential for evenings/weekends)
- Must be able to work on call shifts on a rotational basis
- Other related duties as assigned
- Must be a graduate of an Animal Health Technician program from a recognized facility
- RVT designation is required
- 3 plus years of experience working in a clinical setting with small animals is required
- 1 plus years of experience working in a clinical setting in anesthesia is required (preferably in specialty referral hospital setting)
- 1 plus years of experience working in a clinical setting with large animals is required
- Demonstrated ability to perform necessary nursing skills for the various levels of care required including sedation, induction, patient monitoring, recovery, venipuncture, catheter placement, patient preparation for surgical/medical procedures)
- Preference given to individuals with advanced technical skills in anesthesia (including epidurals, nerve blocks, large animal general anesthesia, ventilatory therapy)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong computer skills with demonstrated ability in Windows and iOS Operating Systems
- Previous experience with computerized medical records is required, with preference to applicants with knowledge of RxWorks, SmartFlow and/or Cubex
- Self-motivated with demonstrated skills in multi-tasking, time-management, and adaptability
- Demonstrated ability to work well on a team and a positive attitude
- Must be able to work flexible hours on occasion, participate in on-call, and be reliable
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.