MTS Level 6 - Animal Health Technician - Small Animal ICU/Primary Emergency Care Nights - Veterinary Teaching Hospital - Atlantic Veterinary College
$54,497 to $59,958 per annum as per CUPE 1870
Do you want to join a dynamic team practicing and teaching the highest standards of Veterinary Medicine? Do you want to advance your technical skills and work in an environment with leading veterinary specialist experts? Do you want to be part of shaping the next generation of veterinarians? If so, we’d love to have you join us! The Veterinary Teaching Hospital requires an Animal Health Technician to work nights primarily in the Small Animal Hospital, providing support to the ICU and primary care emergency centre. This position rotates 4 nights on / 4 nights off .
- Completing and assisting with treatment orders for patients
- Ability to perform necessary nursing skills for the various levels of care required (including animal handling and restraint, and basic husbandry)
- Monitoring and reporting to the clinician any abnormalities with the patient in relation to the treatment and/or monitoring of their care and well-being
- Stocking and maintaining supplies in various locations
- Updating patient billing
- Assist in the maintenance of medical records
- Support veterinary students, technician students, and junior veterinarians participating in post-graduate programs with confidence and compassion
- Monitoring progression of hospitalized patients
- Monitoring, advising, and assisting veterinary students working after hours in the Small Animal ICU and the emergency clinic
- Maintaining a high standard of cleanliness and biosecurity standards
- Support after-hours client services staff in answering triage calls, taking payments, and ensuring an excellent client experience
- Support emergency service clinicians and VTH SA interns with client communication (including discussing estimates, consent forms, and client education/care)
- Other related duties as assigned
- Must be a graduate of an Animal Health Technician program from a recognized facility
- RVT designation is required
- Strong computer skills with demonstrated ability in Windows and iOS Operating Systems
- Previous experience with computerized medical records is required, with preference to applicants with knowledge of RxWorks and SmartFlow
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must be self-motivated and accountable to yourself, the patients, and your team
- Demonstrated experience in perform patient billing
- Experience with flex schedule (especially night work) preferred
- Experience in an emergency setting preferred
- 3-5 years of work experience with small animal patients
- Able to support the LA technician in time of need
- Excellent technical proficiency with experience placing catheters and administering IV fluids, performing sample collection (blood/urine), assisting with diagnostic procedures, performing patient assessments and administering required treatments
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website. Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.