EAP Bridging Program
The purpose of the EAP Bridging Program is to allow students the opportunity to take first year academic courses (for credit) while completing the EAP program. It also provides support to incoming first year EAL students who meet the UPEI language requirements but are studying at an English speaking university for the first time.
There are two streams in the Bridging Program. After Level 6, students will be placed in either Stream A or Stream B. See the requirements for each stream below.
Stream A - Learning Community
The Learning Community is comprised of 5 credit-based foundation courses offered over 2 consecutive semesters beginning in September. Students take 3 courses in the fall semester and 2 courses in the winter semester.
Sample Course Schedule
- Modern Languages 209A - Writing Skills for ESL Learners
- University 100A - Introduction to University Studies
- Business 285 - Canadian Business Culture
- Modern Languages 209B - Writing Skills for ESL Learners
- University 100B - Introduction to University Studies
- A detailed description of ML 209 and UNI 100 can be found at http://www.upei.ca/arts/undergraduate-programs.
To enter the Learning Community students must meet one of the following requirements:
- Successful completion of EAP program Level 6 (80% or higher) and an equivalent of IELTS 6.5 in Reading, Listening, and Speaking
- Recognized IELTS 6.0 in Writing and 6.5 in Reading, Listening, & Speaking
- First year students who have a recognized IELTS 6.5 in each band on the exam
To successfully complete Learning Community courses and progress on to full academic status in their undergraduate program, students must have 60% in each foundation course.
Stream B - General Study
This program is for students who are currently studying in EAP Level 7 and eligible to take 1-3 credit courses (for example, Math 111, Math 191, EC 101/102) depending on current language scores and course marks.
To enter this program, student must meet one of the following requirements:
- Successful completion of EAP program Level 6 (Course Grades 60%- 79%)
- Recognized IELTS 6.0 with no skill below 6.0
To successfully complete EAP classes within Stream B - General Study and move on to full academic status, students must meet the UPEI minimal language requirements. Please refer to the EAP Placement Guidelines for detailed information on passing EAP.
To register, please contact EAP Assistant Coordinators: