The Bachelor of Business Studies (BBST) program is a post-diploma degree. It will require a minimum of two years of academic study at UPEI, the curriculum of which will consist primarily of core courses and a few electives.
To be eligible for program admission, students must have already completed a two-year business diploma in specified programs at a recognized college and have achieved an overall average of 70%. Students must meet the UPEI admission requirements for this degree. In the BBST, students must obtain grades of at least 60% in at least 12 of the 16 required business courses in order to qualify for the degree. Students are subject to all of the Academic Regulations of the University.
Required courses recommended to be taken in a student’s first year at UPEI:
- Business 1410 - Marketing
- Business 1710 - Organizational Behaviour
- Business 2120 - Business Presentations and Communications
- Business 2510 - Introduction to Management Science
- Business 2880 - Research and Evidence-Based Management
- Business 3010 - Business Law – Part I
- Accounting 1010 - Introduction to Financial Accounting (except students whose college diploma was in Accounting; see note 1)
- Accounting 2210 - Managerial Accounting
- UPEI 1010 - Writing Studies (see note 9)
Required courses recommended to be taken in a student’s second year at UPEI:
- Business 2310 - Corporate Finance
- Business 2720 - Human Resource Management
- Business 3330 - Integrated Cases in Corporate Finance or Business 3340 (formerly 421) - Personal Finance
- Business 3430 - Integrated Cases in Marketing
- Business 3510 - Operations Management
- Business 3710 - Entrepreneurship and New Ventures
- Business 3910 - Strategic Management
- Business 4850 - Developing Management Skills
- English 3810 - Professional Writing
For students whose college diploma was in Accounting:
In addition to the 17 required courses, students must take 3 elective courses. At least one elective must be a business course and at least one elective must be a non-business elective. The other elective (“a free elective”) may be either a business or a non-business course.
For students whose college diploma was in Business or Retail Management:
In addition to the 18 required courses, students must take 2 elective courses. At least one elective must be a non-business course. The other elective (“a free elective”) may be either a business or a non-business course.
- Students who have completed a diploma in Accounting Technology must take a business elective in place of Accounting 1010.
- Accounting courses are considered to be Business electives. Due to student enrolments and faculty availability, some courses may not necessarily be offered each year. Students should consult the current timetable before registration.
- Political Science 2010 (Canadian Politics I: Government) and 3110 (Canadian Public Administration) are recommended as potential non-business electives.
- Recommended Business electives include Business 2650 (Introduction to Small Business and Entrepreneurship), Business 4650 (Project Management), Business 4710 (Org. Development), and Business 4760 (Intercultural Management).
- Students are eligible to apply to the Co-operative Education program upon entrance to the university.
- Unless specified, the following courses are not eligible as electives for the BBST program: Math 1110/1120, Economics 1010/1020, and Business 1010.
- The completion of UPEI 1010 is a required course for the BBST, but the course also meets the general UPEI requirement of taking UPEI 1010, 1020 or 1030.
To be eligible for program admission, students must have already completed a two-year business diploma, including specified courses or programs, at a recognized college and have achieved an overall average of 70%.
Please refer to the UPEI Academic Calendar for complete admissions information.
UPEI's undergraduate tuition is the second-lowest in the Atlantic region, and we offer more than $5 million in scholarships and awards.
$6,270 per year, based on 30 credit hours ($627 per 3 credit course).
International students pay $7,320 per year in addition to full-time student tuition.
For a complete breakdown of part-time or full-time study as a student in the Faculty of Business, visit our Tuition and Fees page.
Scholarships and Awards
UPEI supports you and your educational goals. We administer millions of dollars in scholarships and awards to our undergraduate and graduate students every year. Depending on your faculty or program, and year of study, you may be eligible for available awards.
Search the complete list of scholarships for information and application forms.
Celebrating Student Achievement
Including Guaranteed Entrance Scholarships and Academic Excellence Awards, these awards recognize the academic achievements of all students who meet the eligibility criteria while studying towards their first undergraduate degree.
Visit the Scholarships site for complete information.
UPEI has about 250 faculty members—exceptional scholars, teachers, and mentors, with more being hired each year as we open new, progressive, and unique programs. But the story isn’t just in the numbers. It’s in the quality of our people. Award-winning faculty from around the globe have made UPEI home. Here, you’ll learn directly from these world-class professors and researchers in small classes where you’ll have easy access to them.