Student Research Assistants (2 positions) - Faculty of Sustainable Design Engineering
As soon as possible – August 31, 2018
The Faculty of Sustainable Design Engineering at UPEI is seeking two graduate and/or undergraduate students with interests in Bio-resources and/or Mechatronics to fill the position of Student Researchers. These candidates will be working directly with and report to Dr. Sadegh Babaii to develop and perform tests on HempCrete Construction material.
- Develop and implement tests for experimentation on HempCrete core samples
- Gather and process the data for reporting to supervisor
- Work with supervisor and co-workers to identify, procure the necessary raw bio-char
- Provide weekly updates and communicate effectively with supervisor
- Consistently follow experimentation guidelines to ensure consistency of results
- Maintain detailed logs of work
- Process recorded data to shape further research
- Develop skills in structural mechanics and heat transfer testing and procedures
- The candidate must be enrolled (in preferably engineering) at UPEI
- Experience with CAD modelling software
- Excellent record of design project management
- Strong communication skills to coordinate and execute experimentation with a research team
- Ability to process and report data with Microsoft Office (Excel and Word)
- Effective time management skills - ability to prioritize and organize work
- Analytical skills to derive conjectures from experimentation results
Priority will be given to University of Prince Edward Island students in accordance with Recruitment, Selection, Hiring and Employment Policies and the Procedures manual.
Please submit electronically a cover letter quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date, via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website (www.upei.ca/hr/). Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, or fax it to (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified student candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens, permanent residents and full-time international students with a valid study permit will be given priority.
The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment. Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.