Student Research Assistant - School of Mathematical & Computational Sciences - Faculty of Science
May 7 – August 10, 2018
Dr. Alexander Alvarez, School of Mathematical and Computational Sciences, is looking for a student assistant to work on a research project. The research project will involve the use of geometric structures on functional spaces for the study of financial risk measures.
The Research Assistant will be responsible for:
- The study of some mathematical structures and financial concepts that are relevant to the project (e.g. metric spaces, Value at Risk, financial risk measures)
- Providing programming support for the implementation of risk measures that involve extensive use of geometric structures on functional spaces
- The successful candidate will have completed at least two years of the Financial Mathematics Major program
- Knowledge of Linear Algebra and Calculus, and some coding skills (preferably in MATLAB) are essential
- Students should have (at a minimum) completed UPEI’s Math 1910, Math 1920, Math 3010, AMS 2410, AMS 3410 (or their equivalents)
- Students must include their grades in these courses with their applications, and by applying, give consent for the Associate Dean of School of Mathematical and Computational Sciences to verify these grades through UPEI's online course management system
Priority will be given to University of Prince Edward Island students in accordance with Recruitment, Selection, Hiring and Employment Policies and the Procedures manual.
Please submit electronically a cover letter quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date, via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website (www.upei.ca/hr/). Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, or fax it to (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified student candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens, permanent residents and full-time international students with a valid study permit will be given priority.
The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment. Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.