Student Support Staff (Up to 20 positions) - Department of Athletics and Recreation
May 14, 2018 – August 31, 2019 (term may be extended or reduced depending on performance, available funding and departmental requirements)
The Athletics & Recreation Department requires Student Support staff for a variety of positions with a variety of duties that include, but are not limited to, supervision of its sports facilities (Turf Field, Alumni Canada Games Place and Chi-Wan Young Sports Centre), event and varsity game day hosting for all sports facilities and coordination and supervision of recreational programming. Our employees are front-line customer service professionals who strive to provide all members and facility users with a great service experience. Employees are part of a larger team that knows how to have fun, work hard and take pride in their work.
- Perform opening and closing duties at all venues (Alumni Canada Games Track, UPEI Turf Field, Chi-Wan Young Sports Centre) and monitor access of all users to facilities
- Provide excellent customer service to internal and external users of the facilities
- Assist user groups with set-up and tear-down of equipment if needed. Physical labour may be required, such as setting up nets, carrying/moving and/or preparing for use of sports equipment, etc.
- Greet all visitors, provide accurate information and answer questions regarding all programs, policies, events, hours of operation, etc.
- Serve as point of contact to other departments, clients, members and visitors
- Maintain daily facility event reports
- Handle cash and process payments
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time
- Must be able to carry / move / set-up sporting equipment
- Must be able to work in all weather conditions
- Strong customer service, interpersonal, communication and organizational skills
- Positive attitude, energetic, courteous, excellent telephone etiquette and ability to pay attention to detail
- Ability to work both independently with limited supervision and with other UPEI team members as needed
- Previous experience working with community and sport groups is considered an asset
- Ability to adjust to quickly changing circumstances in event operations
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule, including week days, weekends, holidays, and evenings
- Must have current CPR and AED training or agree to obtain this certification at own expense
Please submit application form (Support Staff Application Form) along with application documents listed below no later than the closing date.
Priority will be given to University of Prince Edward Island students in accordance with Recruitment, Selection, Hiring and Employment Policies and the Procedures manual.
Please submit electronically a cover letter quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date, via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website (www.upei.ca/hr/). Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, or fax it to (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified student candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens, permanent residents and full-time international students with a valid study permit will be given priority.
The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment. Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.