Student Research Assistants (Up to 2 Positions) - School of Sustainable Design Engineering - Faculty of Science
May 1 – August 25, 2018
The School of Sustainable Design Engineering is seeking applications for up to two (2) temporary student research assistant positions. These positions are required to work in the lab under the direction of Dr. Matt Hall, Assistant Professor, to perform testing, simulation, and design work in support of wind and marine renewable energy research.
- Simulation work involving using and enhancing numerical models for offshore wind turbines, with emphasis on lumped-mass mooring dynamics
- Testing work involving planning, setting up, and executing wave tank experiments of floating structures
- Design work involving assisting in mechanical design for wave tank testing, and in realizing small-scale wind turbine prototypes for testing
- Students will be trained in relevant wind and marine renewable energy engineering methods and will be encouraged to participate in collaboration activities and conferences
- Students must be proficient at basic engineering calculations, background research, technical communication, and creative problem solving
- Successful candidates will have an aptitude in some of the following areas: hands-on building, experimentation, sensors and electronics, fluid mechanics, structural design, quantitative analysis (e.g. Excel/Matlab/Python), programming, iterative design
- Additional requirements include good academic standing, competence in both self-directed and team environments, and motivation for tackling new challenges
Priority will be given to University of Prince Edward Island students in accordance with Recruitment, Selection, Hiring and Employment Policies and the Procedures manual.
Please submit electronically a cover letter quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date, via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website (www.upei.ca/hr/). Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, or fax it to (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified student candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens, permanent residents and full-time international students with a valid study permit will be given priority.
The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment. Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.