Student Research Assistants (2 Positions) - Department of Chemistry - Faculty of Science
May 7 – August 24, 2018
The Chemistry Department requires two undergraduate Research Assistants to assist with NSERC-funded Chemistry research projects with Dr. Brian Wagner involving fluorescence-based studies and applications of supramolecular host-guest inclusion systems.
• The students will use fluorescence spectroscopy to study the inclusion of various fluorescent guests into organic host molecules, such as cyclodextrins, in aqueous solution
• The students will investigate and determine the best host and guest molecules to be used for specific applications
• The students will be responsible for the careful preparation of analytical solutions in water, measurement of absorption and fluorescence spectra, perform fluorescent titrations as a function of host concentration to determine binding constants, preparation of fluorescence-based calibration plots, and analysis of the results
• Other responsibilities will include participation in group meetings, and maintenance of the laboratory working space and equipment
The successful candidate should be:
• A UPEI Chemistry Major or Honours student, and have completed at least two years of their Chemistry program with a strong academic performance
• Successful completion of Chem 2310 and Chem 2210 are required
• Prior laboratory experience with techniques such as UV-visible absorption and in particular fluorescence spectroscopy will be an asset
Priority will be given to University of Prince Edward Island students in accordance with Recruitment, Selection, Hiring and Employment Policies and the Procedures manual.
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website (www.upei.ca/hr).
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified student candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens, permanent residents and full-time international students with a valid study permit will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.