Graduate Student Assistant - Robertson Library *REPOSTED*
As soon as possible – August 31, 2019
The University of Prince Edward Island invites applications from students currently enrolled in -- or recently graduated from -- an ALA-accredited graduate-level library and information science program or a Library and Information Technology program - to work with the Robertson Library team on the KindredSpaces Project.
The University of PEI is one of Canada’s leading liberal undergraduate institutions. Located in Charlottetown, it is a central educational, cultural and social institution in the City and the Province. The University has a population of 4,000 part-time and full-time students and offers traditional programs as well as many unique areas of study. We have a strong research record in a number of areas.
Reporting to the University Librarian, and working in close consultation with the University Archivist and Special Collections Librarian, the successful candidate will be engaged in work related to the Ryrie-Campbell Collection and KindredSpaces.ca, an online discovery tool for the L. M. Montgomery Institute’s Research Collections housed at the Robertson Library, UPEI. During their term the candidate will work with two sub-collections from the Ryrie-Campbell Collection, Stage and Screen and Periodicals.
• Create online catalogue records for items in both collections, compliant with established library rules and standards
• Determine rights and selectively digitize content, so as to provide access to their contents online, and to complement the Library’s preservation efforts for these items by reducing the need to handle the originals
• Handle and process materials for archival storage
• Load metadata and digitized content into KindredSpaces
• Create appropriate descriptive pages/online exhibits for the collections
• Applicants will either be a recent graduate (within the last year) or are working towards their library and information science degree from an ALA-accredited institution
• The candidate should have an understanding of library cataloguing practices and metadata, including MARC and MODS
• KindredSpaces.ca utilizes Islandora as a platform so experience with Islandora or a similar web-based digital access and preservation platform would be an asset
• A demonstrated knowledge of the work and legacy of L.M. Montgomery would also be an asset
• All candidates must possess excellent interpersonal and written communication skills
Priority will be given to University of Prince Edward Island students in accordance with Recruitment, Selection, Hiring and Employment Policies and the Procedures manual.
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website (www.upei.ca/hr). Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.