Student Research Assistant - Faculty of Sustainable Design Engineering
May 1 – August 30, 2019
A full-time research assistant position is available for an undergraduate engineering student with interest in the development of micro-fabricated technologies for marine natural product development. The objective of this project is to develop a miniaturized microbial domestication pod (µMDPod) to return the micro-encapsulated bacteria to the marine environment from which the bacteria originated. The development of the proposed technology could lead to the discovery of new taxa of bacteria which will represent a highly promising new resource for natural product discovery. In collaboration with Nautilus Bioscience, the student will work under the supervision of Drs. Ali Ahmadi and Russell Kerr, and will receive training in the areas of micro-fabrication, microfluidics, bio-instrumentation and marine natural product development.
The students will work on the following tasks:
• Design the µMDPod using SolidWorks
• Microfabricate the system using stereo lithographic 3D printers and other micro-fabrication methods
• Test the mechanical and biological properties of the µMDPod
• Test the sealing properties of the µMDPod
• Assist in migration tests
• Assist in fabrication of microfluidic channels for micro-encapsulation of bacteria in agarose
• Basic knowledge of engineering design and engineering drawing (CAD) is required
• Previous experience with 3D printing and proficiency in technical writing is required
Priority will be given to University of Prince Edward Island students in accordance with Recruitment, Selection, Hiring and Employment Policies and the Procedures manual.
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website (www.upei.ca/hr). Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.