Student Research Assistant - Department of Biomedical Sciences - Atlantic Veterinary College
May 7 – August 31, 2018
The Department of Biomedical Sciences is seeking applications for a temporary research assistant position. The position is required to work under the direction of Dr. Sunny Hartwig to help develop a canine genetic testing research program.
- Assist in data collection and genetic analysis of multiple canine disease susceptibility single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) and/or gene loci
- Assist in developing genetic tests for SNPs and/or gene loci
- Must be currently enrolled in the DVM program at AVC
- Must demonstrate excellence in interpreting and translating scientific literature
- Must have demonstrated expertise in using scientific search engines (e.g. Pubmed)
- Must be familiar with molecular biology techniques and data analysis including PCR and real-time qPCR
- Strong academic record, work ethic, and focus
- Expertise in oral and written scientific communication
- Ability to work independently
- Strong references demonstrating these skills are required
Priority will be given to University of Prince Edward Island students in accordance with Recruitment, Selection, Hiring and Employment Policies and the Procedures manual.
Please submit electronically a cover letter quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date, via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website (www.upei.ca/hr/). Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, or fax it to (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified student candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens, permanent residents and full-time international students with a valid study permit will be given priority.
The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment. Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.