Student Fitness Centre Supervisor - Department of Athletics and Recreation * REPOST*
September to December 31, 2018
The Athletics and Recreation Department is looking for exceptional student staff to work in the Fitness Centre. The Fitness Centre Supervisor is responsible for all activities that occur inside the fitness centre. Keeping the area safe for members is top priority. Other mandatory duties include making sure the machines are operating properly and keeping the equipment and area clean. Student employees are expected to conduct themselves professionally in the following ways:
• Training, promoting programs/services, managing time, developing leadership skills
• Customer Service, supporting co-workers
• Fulfill job responsibilities, enforcing policies, risk management, professionalism, honesty, ethical decision-making, trustworthiness
• Demonstrate how to properly use equipment and conduct exercises to members
• Supervision of sports centre members and facility users at all times
• Monitor access to the fitness centre
• Regularly check fitness equipment for damages
• Report damages to facility & equipment and any abusive behaviour
• Follow emergency care procedures in the event of an injury or emergency situation
• Attend mandatory meetings, orientations and training
• Ensure members using the fitness centre are following the policies, rules and weight room etiquette
• Follow all policies, rules and weight room etiquette themselves. Lead by example.
• Provide accurate information and answers questions regarding hours of operation, programs and policies
• Clean fitness centre equipment
• Perform weekly visual equipment and area checks
• Standing for long periods of time required
• Some physical labour is required
• Report to and perform other duties as assigned by the Fitness & Wellness Coordinator
• Enrollment in UPEI Kinesiology program given preferences but not mandatory
• Good knowledge of fitness centre equipment
• Basic knowledge in health and fitness
• A professional demeanor – reliable, well prepared, respectful and relates well to people
• Strong customer service skills and/or experience
• Positive attitude, energetic, courteous, good telephone etiquette and attention to detail
• Able to work well within a team work environment
• Must be willing to work a flexible schedule, including weekdays, weekends and holidays. As well as early morning, day and late shifts
• Must be available to work throughout the Spring/Summer months
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Applicants must have excellent customer service skills and positive attitude in serving students and other members
• All student staff must have current CPR and AED training and WHMIS or agree to obtain this certification at their own expense
Please include a copy of your class schedule along with your resume and cover letter.
Priority will be given to University of Prince Edward Island students in accordance with the Recruitment, Selection, Hiring and Employment Policies and Procedures manual.
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website (www.upei.ca/hr).
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens, permanent residents and full-time international students with a valid study permit will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.
Previous applicants to competition 25S18 and 25S18R need not apply.