Student Trainer - AVC Humane Dog Training Program - Department of Companion Animals - Atlantic Veterinary College *REPOSTED*
September, 2018 – April 26, 2019
The Atlantic Veterinary College is seeking three student trainers for the AVC Humane Dog Training Program.
The students will be required to assist in the provision of a counselling, training and enrichment program for dogs at the PEI Humane Society under the supervision of the student coordinator and the shelter manager. Duties at the shelter will be diverse and may include:
- Performing behavioural assessments of shelter dogs
- Training and providing enrichment for the dogs being held for adoption at the shelter
- Maintenance of records (behavioural assessments, dog bios and training records)
- Investigation of practical ways to enrich the shelter environment
- Counselling of potential dog adopters and provision of support to adopters coping with behavioural issues in the home
- Participating in public education events
- Development of educational display materials
- Minimum first year standing in the DVM program
- Experience in the application of operant conditioning with a secondary reinforcer (clicker training) is preferred
- Applicants should have a demonstrated interest in shelter issues and the importance of behavioural modification
- A high standard of professionalism and excellent communication skills are essential
Priority will be given to University of Prince Edward Island students in accordance with Recruitment, Selection, Hiring and Employment Policies and Procedures manual.
Please submit electronically a cover letter quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date, via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website (www.upei.ca/hr/). Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, or fax it to (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified student candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens, permanent residents and full-time international students with a valid study permit will be given priority.
The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment. Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.
Previous applicants of Competition #20S18 and #20S18R need not apply.