Student Assistant - Wildlife Pathology - Department of Pathology and Microbiology - Atlantic Veterinary College
May 6 to August 16, 2019
The department of Pathology and Microbiology at the Atlantic Veterinary College is seeking applications for a student assistant position.
• Participate in necropsies of routine diagnostic specimens (a wide variety of wild avian and mammalian species) submitted to the Canadian Wildlife Health Cooperative (CWHC)
• Under the supervision of a wildlife pathologist or technologist, trim formalin-fixed tissue samples for routine histological processing
• Data entry into the CWHC database, including results of routine necropsies
• Other activities as required (e.g., field work related to specific research projects, field investigation of wildlife mortality, literature searches)
• Preference will be given to a first- or second-year DVM student with a stated interest in wildlife veterinary science
• Prophylactic vaccination against rabies is essential
• Previous wildlife experience desirable
• Experience utilizing a variety of computer software programs (e.g., Spreadsheets, Word Processing, E-Mail and Web Browsers)
• Independent work habits
Priority will be given to University of Prince Edward Island students in accordance with Recruitment, Selection, Hiring and Employment Policies and the Procedures manual.
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website (www.upei.ca/hr). Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.