Student Assistant - Bacteriology/Post Mortem Lab - Diagnostic Services - Atlantic Veterinary College
April 21 – September 30, 2018
The department of Diagnostic Services at the Atlantic Veterinary College is seeking applications for a student assistant position.
• Receiving and preparation of specimens for culture, primary culture of specimens, transferring culture plates, sub-culturing, inoculating of biochemical, and inoculation of panels and plates for susceptibility testing, while using aseptic techniques under the supervision of a technologist
• Other laboratory and clerical duties may be assigned as required
• The successful applicant will be required to work on both Saturday and Sunday (approx 5 hours total)
• Responsible for admitting submissions to post mortem
• Responding to phone calls and assisting pathologist with post mortems when required
• Working with fresh animal tissue
• Familiarity with computer programs would be an asset
• The successful applicant will be required to be on call on weekends from 5:00 p.m. on Friday to 8:00 a.m. on Monday (inclusive) and holidays
Preference will be given to students who have completed first year of the DVM program or who have relevant bacteriology experience.
Priority will be given to University of Prince Edward Island students in accordance with Recruitment, Selection, Hiring and Employment Policies and Procedures manual.
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website (www.upei.ca/hr). Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified student candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens, permanent residents and full-time international students with a valid study permit will be given priority.
The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.