Student Assistant - Department of Pathology & Microbiology - Atlantic Veterinary College*REPOSTED*
November 2018 – July 1, 2019
The Hoplite Research Group, within the Department of Pathology and Microbiology, is looking for a student assistant interested in aquatic animal health, animal care, and/or research experience.
The successful applicant will be given further aquatic animal health and husbandry training. Depending on the student and project potential, it is possible the position could develop into a summer research project, or beyond.
• Contribute to the care of different fish species, including but not limited to salmon, eels, sturgeon, etc.
• Fish feeding, behavioural observation
• Study data collection and entry
• Fish necropsy and tissue collection
• Following standard operating procedures
• Experience handling/caring for animals, especially fish, and completion of the AVC-UPEI animal care course is a requirement of the position
• Completion of AVC-UPEI biosecurity training session would be considered an asset
• Experience with fish or other animal post-mortem sampling, and necropsy procedures would also be a major asset
Priority will be given to University of Prince Edward Island students in accordance with Recruitment, Selection, Hiring and Employment Policies and the Procedures manual.
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website (www.upei.ca/hr). Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.