Student Research Assistants (Up to 3 Positions) - Department of Psychology - Faculty of Arts *AMENDED*
As soon as possible – Dec. 31, 2017 (term may be reduced or extended depending on performance, available funding and departmental requirements)
Part-time research assistance is required in support of the organizational and musical aspects of the UPEI Multicultural Choir and Song Circle. Several kinds of support are required, and applicants will be chosen for complementary strengths. The choir is in its 7th year and arose through the AIRS Project (Advancing Interdisciplinary Research in Singing, www.airsplace.ca.).
Reporting to the project director, the work entails the following:
- Maintaining and updating membership lists and communications with members
- Maintaining and building song books, repertoire, and Facebook site
- Organizing effective and enjoyable rehearsals
- Facilitating the musical and vocal aspects of the rehearsals
- Monitoring the proper use of the venue or rehearsal facilities
- Ascertaining the goals of the group and planning activities accordingly
Priority will be given to students currently registered in relevant disciplines in the Faculty of Arts (e.g., psychology, sociology, diversity studies, music, communications)
The following are regarded as assets:
- Superior communication skills
- Courses in diversity studies, culture, music, communications
- Ability to work responsibly and independently without close supervision
- Ability for teamwork
- Good organizational skills and record-keeping ability
- Capable of exercising confidentiality and conscientiousness
- Openness to the experience of many cultures
- Word processing, Excel, and computer audio/video
Additional assets include:
- Past experience in the Multicultural choir and song circle
- Music background/singing experience (can be informal)
- Bilingualism or knowledge of more than one culture
- Knowledge of music notation or editing software or ability to learn
Priority will be given to University of Prince Edward Island students in accordance with Recruitment, Selection, Hiring and Employment Policies and Procedures manual.
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website (www.upei.ca/hr). Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified student candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens, permanent residents and full-time international students with a valid study permit will be given priority.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.