Student Markers / Teaching Assistants (Design, Lab & Shop) - School of Sustainable Design Engineering - Faculty of Science
As soon as possible – December 2017
The School of Sustainable Design Engineering seeks applications for Student Markers and/or Teaching Assistants (Design or Lab) to assist instructors with course grading and to provide support in the Design Clinics and course labs for the following courses in the Fall 2017 semester:
• Student Markers and/or Lab Teaching Assistants: ENGN 1520; 2310; 2610; 2810; 3220; 3260; 3810
• Design Teaching Assistants: ENGN 1210; 2210; 3710
The School also seeks applications for Shop Teaching Assistants to support activities related to Design Clinic projects in the School's various fabrication and assembly shops.
• Assist the instructor with grading of assignments, tests and other materials as assigned
• Maintain records of grades for students
Design Teaching Assistants:
• Assist the instructor in supporting students in the various activities associated with the Design clinics
• Assist the instructor with grading of assignments and other materials as assigned
• Provide assistance and guidance to students regarding the design process
Lab Teaching Assistants:
• Assist the instructor with the supervision of students in undergraduate laboratories
• Provide pre-lab instruction and guidance to students for completion of undergraduate labs
• Work with the instructor and lab technician to ensure that all students are aware of safe laboratory procedures and comply with the same
• Assist instructor with student evaluation as required
Shop Teaching Assistants:
• Assist the Fabrication and Assembly Technician in supporting student Design Clinic projects
• Provide assistance and guidance to students regarding fabrication and assembly
• Operate wood shop and machine shop equipment for which they are properly trained
• Complete all safety and equipment training as provided and required by the School
• Follow and enforce all H&S guidelines and SOPs
• Work with the Fabrication and Assembly technician to ensure that all students are aware of safe shop procedures and comply with the same
• Report all incidents related to safety
• Maintain shop cleanliness
• Track and maintain tool
Student Markers and Design and Lab Teaching Assistants:
• Undergraduate or graduate students in the School's Sustainable Design Engineering degree programs. Priority in hiring will be given to graduate students.
• Applicants will have successfully completed the course for which the position applies, or have relevant alternative experience
• Excellent academic performance will be an asset
• Previous experience as a Student Marker or as a Teaching Assistant will be an asset
Shop Teaching Assistants:
• Undergraduate or graduate students in the School's Sustainable Design Engineering degree programs. Priority in hiring will be given to undergraduate students in Years 3 and 4.
• Experience with tools and machining will be considered an asset
• Experience in a shop environment will be considered an asset
• Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment
• Comfortable intervening in the event of a H&S related issue
• First aid training will be considered an asset
Ensure that you provide a summary of all relevant previous experience as a Student marker or Teaching Assistant.
Indicate your preference(s) regarding the type of position to which you are applying, i.e, Student Marker, Design Teaching Assistant, Lab Teaching Assistant or Shop Teaching Assistant.
Indicate your top three courses of interest, in order of preference, for the Student Marker, Design Lab and Teaching Assistant positions.
Priority is given to University of Prince Edward Island students in accordance with Recruitment, Selection, Hiring and Employment Policies and Procedures manual.
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website (www.upei.ca/hr).
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens, permanent residents and full-time international students with a valid study permit will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.
Applications will not be accepted via email.