Learning Strategist - Graduate Student Position - Student Affairs
As soon as possible – April 30, 2018
The Department of Student Affairs at UPEI is seeking a Graduate Student to fill the position of Learning Strategist. This candidate will be working directly with Accessibility Services in coordinating and facilitating the accommodations and learning supports for student with disabilities. This person will report to the Coordinator of Accessibility Services and will be an essential part of the Student Affairs team.
The Learning Strategist will develop individualized learning strategy plans for students with disabilities based on the recommendations in their psychological-educational assessments. The successful candidate will assist students to understand their learning styles and provide ongoing supports, strategies and techniques to enable students with disabilities to capitalize on their strengths and remove barriers to learning.
• Reviewing the recommendations on the students personal, psychological-educational or medical assessment to develop client-centered goals and interventions
• Assistance in understanding learning styles and guidance in developing academic strategies for success
• Open collaboration with students to find tools & strategies that they are willing to use
• Support in the form of academic coaching, technology training, assistance with study skills (individually and group work)
• Providing a variety of strategies to improve learning and success
• Identifying barriers and providing strategies to overcome them
• Providing tools and resources to help students find balance, organization and efficiency
• Time management and organizational techniques to overcome executive functioning deficits
• Measure and evaluate the effectiveness of the pilot using standardized valid tools
• The candidate will be enrolled in a Graduate program/courses. An understanding of appropriate teaching pedagogies, accommodations and inclusive practices are essential
• Experience using assistive technology such as Kurzweil, Dragon Dictate, the Live Scribe Smart Pen.
• High degree of computer literacy (for example, online data management, Excel, PowerPoint)
• Experience in working effectively with community organizations
• Effective time management skills - ability to prioritize and organize work
• Excellent interpersonal, oral and written skills
• Supervisory experience as well as knowledge of the administration and coordination of accommodations is essential
• Priority will be given to a candidate with at least 2 years’ experience working with university students with accessibility needs
Priority is given to University of Prince Edward Island students in accordance with Recruitment, Selection, Hiring and Employment Policies and Procedures manual.
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website (www.upei.ca/hr). Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens, permanent residents and full-time international students with a valid study permit will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.
Applications will not be accepted via email.