Student Laboratory Assistants (Up to 20 Positions) - Department of Physics - Faculty of Science*AMENDED*
September 2018 - April 30, 2019
The Physics Department seeks applications for student lab assistants in for the 2018-2019 academic year.
Fall 2018 courses with labs include: Physics 1110, Physics 1210, and Physics 2010 (Waves and Oscillations).
Spring 2019 courses with labs include: Physics 1120, Physics 1220, Physics 2120 (Electricity, Magnets, Circuits), Physics 2920 (Astronomy: Stars, Galaxies and the Universe) and Physics 4410/4430 (Experimental Physics).
Lab assistants will be:
• Acting as a general resource person for students during the lab
• Monitoring student operations in conducting experiments
• Ensuring all computer and lab equipment is used safely
• Following Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) as applicable
• (Astronomy course only) Operate the telescope and lead small groups in astronomy viewings
• Applicants will have successfully completed the course for which they are selected to assist in the lab or course, or have relevant alternative experience
• Preference will be given to students taking Physics as their major or minor
• Previous experience as a lab assistant is an asset
Students hired will be required to successfully complete an on-line WHMIS course and attend a departmental Site Safety Training session.
Please note that assistants for all 2018-2019 academic terms are chosen from this competition. Applicants wanting to be considered for the second term only should apply now and indicate this on their application.
Priority will be given to University of Prince Edward Island students in accordance with Recruitment, Selection, Hiring and Employment Policies and the Procedures manual.
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website (www.upei.ca/hr). Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.
Applicants from Competition #112S18 need not apply.