Student Research Assistant - Department of Psychology - Faculty of Arts
September 3, 2018 to April 26, 2018 (with a possibility of renewal for an additional 20 weeks)
Part-time research assistance is required to update literature reviews on trust/curiosity/inquiry, assist in planning and executing September 2018 curiosity & inquiry conference at UPEI, help run focus groups, transcribe data, participate in analysis, and assist in preparing handbooks/videos/websites. This project is being carried out by Dr. Stacey MacKinnon at the Curiosity & Inquiry Lab at UPEI (http://projects.upei.ca/curiosityandinquiry/) in conjunction with Dr. Beth Archer-Kuhn at the University of Calgary as part of a larger research program on curiosity and inquiry in higher education.
Reporting to the project director, the work will entail the following:
• Updating literature reviews on trust, curiosity, and inquiry in higher education
• Participating in the preparation of videos, handbooks, website and other materials for conference attendees, professors, and the general public
• Assisting in focus group data collection
• Transcribing and assisting in the analysis of qualitative focus group data
• Manuscript co-ordination through a computer data base
• Web-site updating
• Helping plan and execute September 2018 working conference
• Other research-related tasks as required
Priority will be given to UPEI third year students majoring in Psychology who have successfully completed or are planning to complete advanced coursework in qualitative methodology (e.g., PSYC 3740 Advanced Qualitative Research). The following would also be regarded as assets:
• Superior communication skills
• Ability to work responsibly without close supervision
• Excellent organizational skills and record-keeping ability
• Capacity to exercise confidentiality and conscientiousness
• Experience with Word processing and Excel
• Ability to or willingness to learn how to update a website and create visual materials
Priority will be given to University of Prince Edward Island students in accordance with Recruitment, Selection, Hiring and Employment Policies and the Procedures manual.
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website (www.upei.ca/hr). Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.