Student/Event Support Staff (Up to 20 Positions) - Department of Athletics & Recreation *REPOSTED*
September 2018 – May 31, 2019 (term may be extended or reduced depending on performance, available funding and departmental requirements)
The Athletics & Recreation Department requires energetic, enthusiastic and sport-minded Student Support staff for a variety of positions with duties that include, but are not limited to, working at event and varsity home game days for all sports and supervision/monitoring the sports facilities including the Artificial Turf Field, Alumni Canada Games Place and Chi-Wan Young Sports Centre. Our employees are front-line customer service professionals who strive to provide all members and facility users with a great service experience. Employees are part of a larger team that knows how to have fun, work hard and take pride in their work.
• Ticket sales, merchandise and concessions sales
• Handle cash, reconcile sales and deposit/process payments
• Direct guests/spectators to appropriate seating areas; provide guests with directions or other venue information
• Security and crowd control - ensure venue is safe for guests/spectators
• Perform opening and closing duties at all venues (Alumni Canada Games Track, UPEI Turf Field, Chi-Wan Young Sports Centre) and monitor access of all users to facilities
• Greet all visitors, provide accurate information and answer questions
• Provide excellent customer service to internal and external users of the facilities
• Serve as point of contact to other departments, clients, members and visitors
• Must be able to carry / move / set-up sporting equipment. Physical labour may be required. Must be able to stand for extended periods of time
• Must be able to work in all weather conditions
• Strong customer service, interpersonal, communication and organizational skills
• Positive attitude, dependable, energetic, courteous, with an ability to pay attention to detail
• Ability to work with minimal supervision and with other team members as needed
• Experience in cash handling, sales and working with events is considered an asset
• Previous experience working with community/sport groups is considered an asset
• Ability to adjust to quickly changing, unexpected circumstances in event operations
• Willing to work a flexible schedule, including weekdays, weekends, holidays, and evenings
• Current CPR and AED certification or agree to obtain this certification at own expense
All applicants must complete an Application Form and submit along with their cover letter and resume.
Priority will be given to University of Prince Edward Island students in accordance with Recruitment, Selection, Hiring and Employment Policies and the Procedures manual.
Please submit electronically a cover letter, quoting the competition number, a resume and reference list to be received no later than the closing date via the link posted on the UPEI Human Resources website (www.upei.ca/hr). Applications will not be accepted via email.
If you are unable to apply online, you can drop off your resume to the Human Resources Department, Kelley Building, University of Prince Edward Island, 550 University Avenue, Charlottetown, PEI C1A 4P3, Fax Number (902) 894-2895.
In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens, permanent residents and full-time international students with a valid study permit will be given priority. The University of Prince Edward Island is committed to gender equity in employment.
Only those applicants who are invited to an interview will be acknowledged.