The Risk Management Office can assist with various insurance-related matters, including the issuance of certificates of insurance, issuing waivers, information about insurance coverage and deductibles, and submitting insurance claims.

The University carries various types of insurance including property, commercial general liability, errors and omissions,  automobile, and machinery breakdown. If you have any coverage questions please reach out to the Risk Management Office. If you have questions related to insurance provided under employment benefits please contact Human Resources.

Certificates of Insurance

A certificate of insurance (“COI”) provides written evidence of the levels of insurance that an organization carries.

COIs can be requested by the University of others or requested from the University.

COIs requested by the University

Where required by RMO, third parties (ie. contractors, subcontractors, service providers, tenants) will be requested to submit a certificate of insurance to the University to demonstrate compliance with the insurance requirements specified in contracts or agreements. Sometimes, individuals or groups may wish to use University facilities or premises for their own activities that are not sanctioned or sponsored by the University, consisting of various social, cultural and intellectual activities such as lectures, sports activities, field rentals, conferences, films, shows, seminars, workshops and meetings etc. In this case, the other party will be required to provide the University with a certificate of insurance with the following minimum limits and conditions:

  • Commercial General Liability of limits of not less than $2,000,000 for bodily injury and/or property damage per occurrence, adding the University of Prince Edward Island as an additional insured

  • Errors and Omissions Liability  (where applicable) of limits of not less than $2,000,000 per occurrence

  • Automobile Liability (where applicable) of limits of not less than $2,000,000 third-party liability per occurrence

Other types of insurance may be required depending on the activity involved. Please contact the Risk Management Office for advice on types of insurance and required limits.

COIs requested by External Organizations

Departments and faculties may be requested to provide a certificate of insurance to other parties in relation to University agreements, activities or off-campus events, etc.

If you require a Certificate of Insurance for a third party, please submit your request at least five days before required by submitting the Certificate of Insurance Request Form linked below to

Note: if you have an Agreement, Proposal, or other documents that relates to the Certificate of Insurance Request, please include with your form submission.

The certificate can only be provided for the current calendar year but can be renewed for subsequent years upon request. Certificates cannot be issued for future calendar years until close to the end of the current calendar year.

Request a Certificate of Insurance

550 University Avenue, Charlottetown

Prince Edward Island, Canada C1A 4P

Insurance Claims

All losses and/or claims that may impact on the University's insurance coverage must be reported to the Risk Management Office. In the event of any loss (personal injury, property damage, automobile, etc.) please ensure that you complete and submit UPEI Incident Report as soon as possible.

Once the RMO has been advised of the loss, it will notify the University’s insurer. Depending on the nature of the claim, an adjuster may be assigned to investigate the incident. The RMO will act as the liaison between you and the insurance adjuster.

If you have any questions, please contact the Risk Management Office.