UPEI’s GivingTuesday campaign to raise funds for AVC Wildlife Service

Caring for wild animals
Posted: 
Monday, November 19, 2018
A black fox recovers from surgery at AVC.

The University of Prince Edward Island (UPEI) is participating in GivingTuesday on November 27, an international day of giving that follows Black Friday and Cyber Monday. The focus of this year’s campaign is to raise awareness of and funds for the Atlantic Veterinary College’s (AVC) Wildlife Service.

The AVC Wildlife Service provides primary veterinary care to injured, sick, displaced, and orphaned wildlife on Prince Edward Island. In a typical year, the service provides medical care for 250–275 animals. However, as of the end of October this year, that number stood at 300.

The service sees a wide variety of avian and mammalian species. Birds account for 85 per cent of the species seen by the service—from small songbirds such as warblers and finches to large raptors like owls and eagles. This year alone, the service has cared for seven eagles, more than in any other year. Mammals such as foxes make up the remaining 15 per cent. The service works closely with Prince Edward Island’s fish and wildlife division, which is responsible for wildlife on the Island, and with rehabilitation centres in the Maritime provinces.

The AVC Wildlife Service is a non-revenue-generating program supported by the College through time and expertise provided by clinicians, students, and staff. Donations to the AVC Wildlife Clinical Care Fund are gratefully accepted.

“The AVC Wildlife Service is an important part of our educational and service programming,” says Dean Greg Keefe. “Students who work with the service learn about the joys and the challenges of providing veterinary care to wild animals. As well, our work in this area provides a window on the health of wild animals and their environment.”

Second-year student Kate Rundle, who volunteers with the AVC Wildlife Service, says she has had some great experiences.

“I have seen some amazing animals up close and personal, learned new and different ways of caring for and rehabilitating wildlife, and have had the opportunity to observe a surgical procedure on a juvenile eagle and learn more about wildlife medicine. The AVC Wildlife Service gives me and many other students much needed experience to pursue these areas of veterinary medicine.”

This is the second year that UPEI has participated in GivingTuesday. Last year, the University community came together to raise funds to create an award in memory of the late Rocky Paquet, a long-time employee who was loved for his dedication to UPEI students.

Coming after Black Friday and Cyber Monday, GivingTuesday opens the season of giving, inspiring people to take action to improve their local communities and give back to charities and causes they care about. Now in its sixth year, GivingTuesday continues to gain traction across the country, with thousands of partner organizations and millions of Canadians expected to take part.

Follow the AVC Wildlife Service campaign on AVC Friends and Family Facebook.
 

Anna MacDonald
AVC External Relations Officer
Department: 
Atlantic Veterinary College
Phone: 
(902) 566-6786
Contact UPEI